This month marks the first anniversary of Honest Health Sisters!! Last year this month, I made a commitment to start a blog as the next step on my journey along the health and fitness path. I asked my sister to join me on this journey and we started this website together. She was already working the field of nutrition so I thought we could become partners and create a website to offer information and health services. I had many goals for 2017 related to my yoga journey. Here are a few of 2017’s highlights:
1. I promised myself to write a blog post at least once a month, and, with this post, I have successfully accomplished that goal :)
2. I finally committed to enrolling in a one-month intensive yoga teacher-training course in Santa Monica at the start of this year. By February 2017, I had graduated from teacher training and started working as a yoga teacher in Long Beach. I was unsure if I would be able to make a living in this field, but with encouragement from everyone, I am now able to support myself doing what I love.
3. Another one of my goals was to lead a yoga and nutrition workshop together with my sister. This goal became a reality in November when we hosted our first workshop--Flow into the Holiday Season with mindfulness. It was a success and we hope to hold further workshops in the future. Stay tuned for news of our upcoming workshops in 2018.
4. One of my goals was to teach yoga to private clients. I have not had a private, one-on-one client yet, but I was hired to teach a private group yoga class at a workplace. I was asked to come in every other month to teach yoga to a group of behavioral therapists for kids with autism spectrum disorder.
5. I vowed to continue learning about yoga. I did not want my knowledge about yoga to become stagnant. I wanted to attend different workshops to improve my skills and become a better yoga teacher. In 2017, I attended an anatomy and sequencing workshops catered for yoga teachers, and Bhakti and a Handstand workshop. All of the workshops were amazing experiences and I acquired valuable knowledge from each of them.
6. I always wanted to volunteer my time for a good cause once I was able to to support myself financially. Not long ago I started volunteering at a women’s shelter, to teach yoga there once a week. I reached out to my network for yoga mat donations for the shelter so the women could have them to practice yoga. So far I have been able to get 6 yoga mats for the shelter. I look forward to continue volunteering and growing as a teacher.
I want to thank everyone who has been reading my blog; all of the students who have taken my classes; my friends and family who have supported me every step of the way. I hope to keep learning and to become a better yoga teacher in order to better serve others and myself.